Table of Contents
Are Mashed Potatoes Good for Weight Loss? Find Out……
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe they have to bid farewell to their favorite comfort foods forever. However, that’s not always the case. One such comfort food that may raise eyebrows in a weight loss conversation is mashed potatoes. Yes, you read that right! Mashed potatoes can indeed be a part of a weight-loss-friendly diet when prepared and paired with the right ingredients.
In this blog post, we will explore why mashed potatoes can be a suitable choice for those on a weight loss journey, what to eat them with, and provide a mouthwatering recipe for mashed potatoes with shrimp.
Are Mashed Potatoes Good for Weight Loss?
At first glance, mashed potatoes might not seem like a weight loss-friendly option due to their starchy nature. However, when prepared thoughtfully and in moderation, they can actually offer several benefits for those aiming to shed a few pounds.
Why Are Mashed Potatoes Good for Weight Loss?
Rich in Fiber: Mashed potatoes made with the skin left on are a great source of dietary fiber. Fiber helps you feel full for longer, reducing the likelihood of overeating.
Complex Carbohydrates: While potatoes do contain carbohydrates, they are complex carbohydrates that provide sustained energy. This can help prevent energy crashes and reduce cravings for unhealthy snacks.
Low in Calories: A small serving of mashed potatoes can be surprisingly low in calories, especially if you limit added fats and high-calorie toppings.
Versatile: Mashed potatoes serve as a versatile base for a variety of healthy toppings and mix-ins, allowing you to create balanced, nutrient-rich meals.
What Do You Eat Mashed Potatoes With?
To maximize the benefits of mashed potatoes for weight loss, it’s essential to choose the right accompaniments. Opt for lean protein sources and plenty of vegetables. One excellent option is mashed potatoes with shrimp.
How to Prepare Mashed Potatoes with Shrimp
- Sweet potatoes
- Crunch cornflakes/ bread crumbs
- Stock cube
- Garlic powder
- Minced garlic
- Ginger powder
- Green peas
- Scotch bonnet pepper
Instructions For Making Mashed Potatoes
- Cut and wash your potatoes with clean water
- Set to boil and allow to cook till it soft
- Strain in a bowl and mash till smooth
- Add the eggs(2)
- Mix until well combined
- Add the flour and mix thoroughly
- Cut chunks of the mixture and roll them into a ball
- Dip the into the egg mixture and roll over the crushed flakes or breadcrumbs
- Fry in oil over medium heat till golden brown and set aside
Instructions for Making shrimp sauce
- Wash your shrimp and add to the pot
- Set over medium heat
- Add your stock cubes, minced/powdered garlic, salt and ginger
- Allow to simmer for like 3 minutes, add 2 cups of water
- Allow to boil
- Add the onions, shredded tomatoes and pepper
- Allow to cook for 5 minutes and set aside
Instructions for Stir-fried Veggies
- Place a frying pan on medium heat
- Add oil or margarine
- Addy your onions
- Add your carrot, minced garlic, stock cube, and a pinch of salt
- Add 1 cup of water
- Add your cooking cream
- Stir in and add your peas
- Add your egg(1) and allow to cook for 3 minutes
Now your Mashed potatoes and shrimp sauce with stir-fried veggies is ready!!!
In conclusion, mashed potatoes can be a surprisingly good addition to a weight loss plan when prepared and paired wisely. Their fiber content, complex carbohydrates, and potential for low-calorie preparations make them a valuable part of a balanced diet. By choosing lean protein sources like shrimp and incorporating plenty of vegetables, you can create a delicious and satisfying meal that supports your weight loss goals while indulging in the comfort of mashed potatoes. So, the next time you’re craving this classic side dish, rest assured that it can be enjoyed as part of your healthier eating journey.