Muffins are a great way to treat yourself and your family to something tasty. Whether you’re making muffins for breakfast, lunch, or dessert, there are endless possibilities when it comes to creating unique muffin recipes.
From blueberry muffins to banana muffins, the options are seemingly endless!
Making muffins at home doesn’t have to be intimidating. With a few simple steps, you can have delicious muffins in no time.
Table of Contents
How to make homemade muffins: Ingredients needed
To make muffins, you will need the following ingredients:
- baking powder (or baking soda)
- sugar or sweetener of your choice
- butter or oil (optional)
- milk or non-dairy alternatives
- mix-ins such as fruits, nuts, chocolate chips, etc.
How to make Muffins Step-by-step Instructions
1. Preheat your oven to 375F (190C).
2. Grease the muffin tin or line it with muffin liners.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder/soda, salt, and sugar/sweetener.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: eggs, butter/oil (optional), and milk/non-dairy alternatives.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined (do not overmix!).
6. Fold in any mix-ins of your choice such as nuts, fruits, chocolate chips, etc.
7. Scoop the muffin batter into the muffin tin, filling each muffin cup about three-quarters of the way full.
8. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9. Allow muffins to cool before enjoying.
And there you have it: homemade muffins! You can customize these muffins however you like, whether that means adding different mix-ins or changing up the flavor of your muffin batter.
5 steps for mixing Muffins
- Dry in one bowl
- Wet in another
- Dry in wet
- Stir, stir, and stir
Can muffins be frozen?
Yes! Muffins can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Make sure muffins are completely cooled before storing them in an airtight container or freezer bag.
How long do muffins stay fresh?
Homemade muffins will stay fresh for up to 4 days at room temperature and up to 7 days in the refrigerator. If muffins are stored in the freezer, they will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
Can muffin batter be made ahead of time?
Muffin batter can absolutely be made ahead of time and stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before baking. Just make sure the muffin batter is well-combined before refrigerating and that it’s brought back to room temperature before baking.
What is the Muffin Method?
The muffin method is a specific way of mixing muffin batter that involves combining the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another before slowly stirring the two together. This method helps ensure muffins have an even texture without any lumps or overmixing.
What is the most important rule for making muffins?
The most important rule of making muffins is to not overmix the batter. Overmixing muffin batter can result in dense, rubbery muffins that lack flavor and texture. To avoid this, it’s important to stop mixing once all the ingredients are just combined and there are no more visible streaks of flour.
Is cupcake the same as muffins?
No, muffins and cupcakes are not the same. The main difference between muffins and cupcakes is that muffins are more dense, savory, and often made with healthier ingredients like whole grains, fruits, and nuts. Cupcakes tend to be sweeter and moister than muffins since they typically contain frosting and sprinkles. Both muffins and cupcakes are delicious, so it just depends on what you’re in the mood for.
Is muffin gluten-free?
Yes, muffins can be gluten-free. To make muffins without gluten, you just need to use a gluten-free flour blend instead of regular all-purpose flour. Make sure the other ingredients used in muffin recipes are also certified gluten-free if needed.